St Andrew’s College 1st XV vs Michaelhouse
History of rugby between St Andrew’s College and Michaelhouse
In 1923 the Michaelhouse Ist XV, 3 staff members and supporters embarked on an historic tour of the Eastern Cape. The trip, described as a ‘great adventure’, involved travel by boat, rail and car.
The team and their entourage arrived in East London, where they were hosted by Selborne College and played their first match. They then journeyed again by boat overnight to Algoa Bay, where five taxis were waiting to transport them overland to Grahamstown.
On Wednesday 27 June 1923, George Grey (Espin 1924) lead the St Andrew’s College Ist XV onto Lower field in their first encounter against the Michaelhouse Ist XV, captained by John McKenzie.
The St Andrew’s College Ist XV coach at the time was Col. AF Murray and the Headmaster was the legendary Canon PWH Kettlewell.
The outcome that day was in favour of the visitors with a score of 11- 6 to the red striped team from Natal and so began the much-anticipated rugby rivalry between these two schools which still exists today, 100 years later.
The Currey/Clark Cup
In acknowledgment of this auspicious occasion, a cup will be presented to the victorious team after each future rugby match and will be known as the Currey/Clark cup in recognition of two Old Andreans who have held leadership positions at Michaelhouse, namely R F Currey (OA Upper 1913, Rector of Michaelhouse 1930 – 1938) and AR Clark (OA Armstrong 1974, Current Rector of Michaelhouse).
In 1938, Ronald Currey (OA, Upper 1913), then Rector of Michaelhouse was called by the St Andrew’s College Council, to return to his old school to take up the reigns as the 10th Headmaster.
He resigned from Michaelhouse and returned to his beloved alma mater, where he enjoyed 16 years as a highly respected and successful Headmaster.
Similarly, in 2019 Antony Clark (OA, Armstrong 1974, 16th Headmaster of St Andrew’s College) was called upon to take up the reigns as Rector of Michaelhouse.
In 2023 the Currey/Clark Cup will be introduced as a symbol of this unique relationship between the two schools.