St Andrew's College vs Michaelhouse 1923

St Andrew's College 1st XV vs Michaelhouse History of rugby between St Andrew’s College and Michaelhouse In 1923 the Michaelhouse Ist XV, 3 staff members and supporters embarked on an historic tour of the Eastern Cape. The trip, described as a ‘great adventure’, involved travel by boat, rail and car. The team and their entourage arrived in East London, where they were hosted by Selborne College and played their first match. They then journeyed again by boat overnight to Algoa…


Welcome to the St Andrew’s College Archives


Thanks to the work of several dedicated Archivists over the decades, St Andrew’s College has a comprehensive collection of school archival material.

Our Archive collection of documents includes printed and hand-written registers, school magazines,  photograph albums, financial ledgers, committee minute-books, maps and plans, postcards, prints, school magazines, sporting and cultural events programmes, speeches, original correspondence, original trust deeds and contracts, individual pupil records, reports and results,  family records, House records, sporting reports and results, published books and other papers by and about Old Andreans.

There are thousands of photographs, movies, videos and DVDs.

There are also numerous objects  ranging from sporting memorabilia, scientific instruments, trophies, items of school uniforms, flags, memorial stones, chalices, furniture and sculptures.

The Archives are available to members of the Andrean community, and by appointment to the wider public.

We are always delighted to add relevant items or information to the collection, which may enrich the understanding of College’s colourful history.


The Antony Clark Andrean Resource Centre (ARC)

The Antony Roy Clark Resource Centre (ARC), which used to be the oldest section of Upper House, was officially opened on 20 November 2010 – a wonderful facility that celebrates the history of the school and its traditions. The ARC is also used for meetings, functions and presentations.

Visitors to the museum need to contact Victor Clarke or make enquiries at the main administration reception area during term time to arrange an appointment. He is based in the Archive office but will happily open up the ARC on request.

The School Archives

The Archive office and storage rooms are situated in a fire-proof, secure facility at the back of the main administration building.

All items pertaining to the history of the school are collected, preserved and disseminated by this department. Coupled with this is an alumni database on which old school photographs are being catalogued and linked to individual Old Andreans’ profiles.

As a collection of historical records is only as good as what is available, Victor would like to appeal to Old Andreans who have photographs, memorabilia or interesting documents to consider either donating them to the school or allowing them to be scanned and returned. He is available during term time on 046 603 2347 or